What information we collect
- We collect personal information to conduct our business, to provide and market our goods and services and to meet our legal and regulatory obligations. The personal information we collect about you includes (but is not limited to) your name, contact details (including phone numbers and addresses), email address, and other information which may assist us in conducting our business and providing and marketing our goods and services.
- We also collect information about your activity on our website which is data related (including the type of internet browser you use, your operating systems, addresses of referring sites and your IP addresses and clickstream information) via tracking technologies such as cookies, or we may collect information from you in response to a survey, promotion or competition. We generally use this information to report statistics, analyse trends, administer our services, diagnose problems and target and improve the quality of our products and services. Cookies allow your browser to utilise some of the features of our sites. We use both session ID cookies and persistent cookies. Most web browsers are set by default to accept cookies. If you reject cookies, you will be unable to take advantage of some of the features of our website.
- We advise that you do not publish or communicate personal information, or at least limit the personal information that you post or transmit, to the public via our services, such as in any social media platforms, blogs or places that user-generated content can be uploaded. We cannot control any third party collection or use of your Non-Confidential Information that is publicly available.
How we collect it
- We may collect your personal information from a variety of sources, including from you, advertisers, mailing lists and business partners.
- We will generally collect personal information by way of forms filled out by people, face to face meetings, interviews, competitions, electronic attachments, telephone conversations and from third parties (representatives, agents, or credit report agencies). Also, we collect a person’s information from our website through receiving subscription applications and emails.
- We may collect your personal information when you request or acquire a product or service to us, complete a survey or questionnaire, enter a competition or event, contribute in a fundraising event, participate in our services (including blogs and forums) or when you communicate with us by email, telephone or in writing.
- If at any time, you provide personal information or other information about someone other than yourself, you warrant that you have that person’s consent to provide such information for the purpose for which you provide it to us.
Why we collect it
- The primary purpose for which we collect information about you is to conduct our business, provide and market our products and services to you, meet our legal or regulatory obligations, and for the management of the company, tractions entered into with us and the administration of any account you have with us. We may state a more specific purpose at some point; we collect your information (including but not limited to any law that requires or authorises the particular information to be collected).
- If you do not provide us with the information that we request, we may not be able to provide you with our products or services. For example, if you do not register as a member of a website, you will not be able to access features or services reserved for members only.
How we use it
- In addition to the primary purpose outline above, we may use the personal information we collect, and your consent to us using your personal information:
- To provide you with news and information about our products and services, and opportunities that we believe you may be interested in;
- For Purposes necessary or incidental to the provision of goods or services to you;
- To personalise and customise your experience purchasing or using our goods or services;
- To manage and enhance our products and services;
- To communicate with you, including by email, mail or telephone;
- To conduct competitions or promotions;
- To verify your identity;
- To investigate any complaints about or made by you, or if we have reason to suspect that you are in breach of any of our terms and conditions or that you are or have otherwise engaged in any unlawful activity;
- As part of an investigation about you or your business, including:
- If we have reason to suspect that you have committed a breach of any of our terms and conditions, or have otherwise engaged in any unlawful activity, and we reasonably believe that disclosure is necessary to any relevant authority or enforcement body, or your Internet Service provider or network administrator.
- Where there is actual, alleged or suspected fraud or unlawful activity
- As part of a sale ( or proposed sale ) of all or part of our business; and
- As required or permitted by any law or regulation.
How we disclose it
- We may also disclose personal information, and you consent to us disclosing your personal information, to third parties:
- Engaged by us to perform functions or provide products and services on our behalfs, such as processing of marketing, research and advertising.
- That are our agents, business partners or joint venture entities or partners;
- That sponsor or promote any competitions that we conduct or promote via our services;
- Authorised by you to receive information held by us;
- As part of any investigation about you or your activity, including:
- If we have reason to suspect that you have committed a breach of any of our terms and conditions, or have otherwise engaged in any unlawful activity, and we reasonably believe that disclosure is necessary to the Police, any relevant authority or enforcement body, or your Internet Service Provider or network administrator; or
- Where there is actual, alleged or suspected fraud or unlawful activity (including tangible, alleged or suspected fraudulent use by any person other than you of your credit or debit card details to make any purchase from us) and we reasonably believe that disclosure is necessary to, or we have requested to make disclosure by, the Police or any relevant authority or enforcement body.
- Including but not limited to our external advisers or potential or actual bidders or their external advisers as part of a sale (or proposed sale) of all or part of our business; and
- As required or permitted by any law or regulation.
We may employ third-party companies and individuals due to the following reasons:
- To facilitate our Websites;
- To provide the service on our behalf;
- To perform Website-related functions; or
- To assist us in analysing how our Website and Services are being used
We want to inform our website users that these third parties have access to your Personal Information. The reason is to perform the tasks assigned to them on our behalf. However, they are obliged not to disclose or use the information for any other purpose.
Links to Other Sites
Opting in or opting out
- At the point we collect information from you, you may be asked to “opt in” to consent to us using or disclosing your personal information for purposes other than those that expressly stated in this policy.
How we hold it – management and security
- Once the Protection of Personal Information Act comes into effect, we will appoint an Information Officer to oversee the management of personal information following this policy and the applicable law and regulations. Until such time, the General Counsel: South Africa, Legal and Compliance, shall fulfil this role.
- Other than concerning Non-Confidential Information, we will take all reasonable steps to protect the personal information that we hold from misuse, loss, or unauthorised access, including utilizing firewalls, password access, secure servers and encryption of credit card transactions.
- However, you acknowledge that the security of online transactions and the security of communications sent by electronic means cannot be guaranteed. You provide information to us via the internet at your own risk. We cannot accept responsibility for misuse or loss of, or unauthorised access to, your personal data where the security of information is not within our control.
- If you suspect any misuse or loss of, or unauthorised access to your personal information, or any other privacy breach, please let us know immediately.
Accessing and updating or correcting your information and how to contact us
- You may seek access to, or try to update or correct, the personal information we hold about you. This access shall become subject to the Protection of Personal Information Act.
- We will require you to verify your identity and to specify the information to which need access or updating or correction.
- Subscribers or members of our website will generally be able to access and update their membership and contact details online – under My Account.
- We request that you keep your information as current as possible so that we may continue to improve our services to you.